Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Creepy or Nice

Ok Bill Quinn is who we are to discuss today. Yes that's right, the old man who lives beside me. This summer he turned 84, and all of us at 159 wanted to be nice to him. He's nice to talk to, he's slow walking, but he's way too curious. Ok so lets rewind to last night around 5pm. Jacklyn, Amy, and I have all fixed ourselves dinner and have settled down at the dining room table. We were about halfway through our meal when I noticed Bill exiting his back door and preceeds to stare at us. I did what any polite person would do, be discreet, act like I didn't see him, continue to eat, but inform my housemates that our old man neighbor is staring at us. They didn't seem to care that much. Since I couldn't stare back I was unaware after five minutes if he was still there. So, I took my plate to the sink and as I was entering the dining room I turned off the light so I could see outside. To my relief Bill Quinn was not there. I sat back down to further converse with my roomies. Then only two minutes later I see his back porch light go out and him step outside to further peep at us. Umm ok creepy old man please stop. My roommates started to wonder too, but since he turned off his light to better disguise himself we had no way to judge how long he was/would (be) look(ing) at us this time. So dinner time was over, Amy was about to go to the basement to change laundry, and I had to run upstairs to get my laundry basket so I could move my clothes out of her way. Still curious, I peered through my window to investigate Bill's location. Would you believe me if I said that he was so close to our windows that I don't know how we couldn't see him. I screamed and said he was still there. In fear we decided to all go to the basement, because maybe he would get bored and leave us alone. We only waited about 5 minutes but sure enough when I checked from upstairs again he was not there. I talked to Chris about this later and he said that he was pretty sure he did this when they lived there too. Eww. I am trying to be objective and just understand that he is lonely... but what if the situation is the worst kind of all. That we are living next to a con man, that his cane and age are just a ploy, that he is scoping out the situation so that he may some day enter our home. What if he is the misterious man who showed up at 5:55 in our neighbors bedroom. (There was a break in up the street around Thanksgiving) All of this fear you see here haunts me every morning on my walking commute to work. The dark silence is the creepiest thing to me.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM , Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

I have always found that the best way to ease the feeling of creepiness is to be even creepier than the thing that is creeping you out. Go to this man's house. Ask him out on a date. Call him four times a day. Follow him to the grocery store. Peep in his windows. Like from outside. Stand out in the cold on his porch and tell him you just want to be close to him. Set up a tent in his yard. Carve "His Name 4-EVA into your belly. ...in other words be the creepy thing your neighbor is worrying about. This way it is impossible to be afraid of him if he is terrified of you.

This post is from the author of "Learn to be a pickpocket if you're afraid of pick-pocketers," and "Making them swerve: How to be the craziest driver on the road," and "Be the guy who passes STDs from toilet seat to toilet seat," and the NYTimes Best-Seller "Putting HIV-infected needles on the seats at the movie theatre and restaurant shooting-sprees - Becoming the evil you fear."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home