Monday, May 07, 2007

Identity.

What are the things that make someone? Is it their religious/spiritual beliefs? Is it how they treat other people? Is it what they like? Is it what they are passionate about?

On this one episode of America's Next Top Model (did I just say that?) Tyra was ripping on this girl for not being an individual. She kept asking her who her favorite actor was, or role model, or favorite color... what? Are those really the things that define people? I guess if acting or music or painting is your passion, you may be able to answer those questions quickly and say yes, everyone should be able to answer that and it does show a little something of who you are. Most of the time the only thing that I can answer is my favorite color... which most of the time I can't pin down to just one answer. Is the fact that I am not really into music or films or anything that most people can relate to, weird?

Ok. Answer me. What makes you, you? Tell me the things that set you apart and mean something to you.

I keep saying that what I am passionate about is people. That kind of statement makes people really uncomfortable, but so does everything else I say. I am good at encouraging and loving what others do. I am good at being a friend sometimes. I think that those things mostly give a good indication of who I am. More importantly it all indicates who I want to be, which is sometimes a lot more important.

Your turn. Give it to me baby.

5 Comments:

At 7:49 AM , Blogger crankin said...

i saw that show on MTV, scarred?, it was gross... i couldn't watch, so i don't know who can.

what makes me me. well, i would consider myself to be quite individualistic. i guess it is a combination of my music, reading, coffee, beer, what i look like, and the things that i say, do, and believe. it is most certainly not my favorite color or who i look to as a role model. to me, those things are just silly little side notes that shouldn't really mean much to anyone but me.

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

what defines me is you. i steal the best parts from other people, and mash them together. i'm like a strong piece of subfloor. kiln-dried, of course.

that, or my boobs.

 
At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay. i think this is my first comment ever on your blog. i should read it more often...esp since we have such a hard time getting ahold of one another. I'm not prepared to answer your identity challenge, though it has got me thinking. I am,however, very interested in this marathon business? Have you signed up for a marathon? When and where are you running? And can I come? I am back to running and even more exciting back to riding my bike! YAY (i am now the proud mother of a purple bicycle helmet). Please fill me in on the details...the life and times of talya strader?

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger Sweet T said...

Colleen- but all of those things are still things that you like. I mean I am really interested in beer and coffee and you could say reading... but they don't define who I am.

Popp- I did contact Inspiration about the marathon and will be running Oct. 7th and will be raising money for Inspiration... I will also hopefully be xtraining with my bike.

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

interesting.
beer and coffee, and my particular enjoyment of them, are definitely part of who i am. as are a million billion other things. i'm on board with theteet, on both counts.

i met a dude this morning who is making a documentary in which he asks people if they would ever sell their soul and for what price or stakes. i said no because i'm rather fond of my soul. he said that most people have a price at which they would be willing to sell.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home