Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Don't Eat Jelly Beans Before Bed!

The title refers to something Chris said to me last night before bed. It's good advice, because well... confession: I don't brush my teeth at night. I know you are cringing because now you are doing the math, yes I only brush once a day, and in fact it's in the shower. Now the whole world (or just 3-4) people know my dirty little secret not just Chris and Colleen.

Other interesting fact: I love looking at snow from inside and through a window, but I hate walking in it. Why? Well because 1.) duh it's cold 2.) the snowflakes stab my eyes, yes actually piercing them sending tears down my face 3.) and because the flakes also flood my nostrils almost drowning me.
it's true.

Last thing. If you don't know (Lydia just found out) I am earning a certificate that says I will soon be able to teach people how to speak English (only in foreign countries). Well during this experience, I have been given the chance to observe a Spanish class. Big deal, you and I have sat through language classes before, but ahhh here's the kicker, I sat through this class with the training! Turns out my favorite teacher sucks according to text book. I have been warned to not mimic his strategy by H. Douglas Brown (author of text book).

So, what will I do with this training... probably just use the certificate to get into the Peace Corp. Don't laugh at me if in a year or so I am applying and don't get in. Hopefully I will then travel to South America and teach farmers how to get fair prices for their coffee beans through learning english. Or teach any other person who is being oppressed by the US to express themselves.

What's gross about you?

6 Comments:

At 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, why do you say those people are being oppressed by the U.S.? From what I know about coffee growers, they're more likely oppressed by their own governments and the community around them than the American companies who buy from them. *shrug* It's good to help the oppressed, don't get me wrong, I'm just confused by your saying that the U.S. oppresses people.

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Sweet T said...

Hi...this is me commenting on my own blog. What I mean when I say "being oppressed by the U.S." is U.S. companies and consumers. Us. I was told that when I just say U.S. that means government... but that's not what I mean. Who are you dear anonymous person? Oh yes and I realize now that I spelled Peace Corps wrong... yes it does have an s.

 
At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response, but I don't feel like you've answered my question. You've clarified that not only do you think the U.S. is oppressing coffee growers, but that citizenry of the U.S. is oppressing coffee growers as well. How are they doing this? What makes you say this?

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Sweet T said...

This is quite strange... could you tell me who you are? Ok here's the thing. We are buying coffee from around the world. U.S. is not known to farm a lot of coffee beans. So these people growing the beans are farmers. When we don't buy beans for a fair price or go through a middle man who doesn't give the farmer a fair price, we (US companies and consumers) are oppressing the farmer. responsibleshopper.com directs us to fair trade, shade grown, and organic coffees for a reason. We can be sure that when we buy these things we are not oppressing the farmer. The fact is that most coffee shops or coffee vendors are not buying this way. They are buying from middlemen who are taking most of the profit and giving no money to the farmers.

 
At 12:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes sense. Is the U.S. the only country that does this? Why do the farmers not charge "fair" prices for their coffee in the first place? Also, what is fair? Isn't fair whatever price the market bears?

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Sweet T said...

Dear Anonymous, I am only replying to you because I care about this subject. It really does bother me though that you will not tell me who you are. If you are someone I don't know, then fine, tell me. It would be really great to know with whom I am speaking with.

All that a "fair" price means, is a living wage. So for instance, in the US employers are, by law, paying minimum wage. Once that law is broken, you can accuse a company of supporting sweat shop labor. I don't know if we are the only country doing this. Like you said, typically the countries where we are getting are beans are oppressing their own people as well. As of now, the US is one of the only places I concentrate on, because that is where I live and participate as a consumer.
Last but not least, farmers are oppressed for many reasons. Companies can get away with it. We are talking about poor countries and this may be their only chance for income. The companies know this and take advantage of the farmers. Another reason that farmers may have to stand under this oppression is their lack of ability to communicate. Language is many times a great barrier. Do you want to know what we can do about this?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home