Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Embarrassing Ones

This is what I am afraid of.

I am afraid of being late for class. I will have to be that girl who is half running half walking briskly. The one that looks really awkward with the bookbag throwing her off balance.

Being that person who is smiling for no reason. Not smiling in the way that it's nice to smile at people. Those times when you are thinking about something funny and in turn are smiling and looking like an ass.

These are not the only two things I am afraid of, but the two that I often replay in my head on the way to class.

I went to hear Howard Lyman speak last night. Apparently he is only famous in other countries and starting a big controversy along with Oprah didn't gain him any fame here. He is a vegan. He talks about his experiences with the meat industry and how it is not only harmful to the environment but human health as well. I might take that next step and become a vegan.

The best or worst part of the talk was when a mini episode (i have no idea what one word you should use to describe this) unfolded before mine and Leah's eyes. Leah and I were sitting in the last row on the right side (aisle seats). Across the row sat some other normal (or so we thought) people. During this event I noticed a woman standing behind and to the left of us. She seemed normal to me, maybe even a familiar Athens face. Well toward the end of the talk, she walked to the row across the aisle from us and began to sit down. The man she was trying to sit beside was not happy about this at all. He stood up quite abruptly and starting beating her with his scarf and then scurried out of the row. She smiled a little, not indicating to any of the audience what the hell was going on. She stood up quickly and exited the row. He never began to smile but then rushed back to his seat. He mouthed some words and she again stood silently in the back. I decided they were quarreling lovers. Then the women approached his right ear and whispered something. I know that this is not pretend now, because the man violently turns around and looks like he would love nothing more than hit this woman. He says quietly but forcefully "get away you psycho bitch." I laughed, in fact I had been laughing the whole time. I didn't know what else to do. I was afraid that there was going to be a fight and I would get hurt, but I still laughed. This is the end of the story, it's a cliff hanger, only I can never give you an ending. What the heck!

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM , Blogger crankin said...

that is freaking helarious! really, i was ammused to begin with when you were talking about what you are afraid of... you know... i like it when i am walking to class and i see someone smliing for apparently no reason. that used to happen at ou a lot, but it never seems to happen here in akron. than i giggled at the fact that you are now considering becoming a vegan (i am in full support... more power to you). than the kicker... the crazy people of athens. oh how i miss it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home