Monday, May 28, 2007

Cat and JessM...and Rwanda

You too! Happy Birthdays. Sorry I couldn't make it, I wanted to. I hope you had lots of fun and enjoyed some "vodka tonic" and "gin and tonic."

This happened the other day at Intelly:
customer: Hey, where is the Rwanda coffee from?
Caitlin: Umm... what do you mean?
customer: Well, where is it from?
Caitlin: Do you mean region or town or...? I mean it's from Rwanda... the country.
customer: Oh, Rwanda is a country? Wow, I guess you can really tell I am an American.
Caitlin: Hehe....

Later...

customer: Oh, I bet that movie Hotel Rwanda is about Rwanda, huh? I mean, I haven't seen it, isn't it some war movie?
Caitlin: (In some nice and gentle words Caitlin talks about the genocide in Rwanda).

Yikes. I was standing there and heard the whole thing unfold. I was so mad when he left... which is probably the wrong emotion to have. He was very open to being informed... but really how do you not know about Rwanda? By the way, he was probably like 26.

Happy Memorial Day.

If anyone wants to live in Chicago for 2 months starting like June 15, my friend will be going to Peru and needs to sublet... something to think about.

5 Comments:

At 1:56 PM , Blogger paul said...

On one hand, I totally agree with you. It is amazing that we can live in a global world and yet be so unaware of what is going on.

On the other hand... to be honest, I wish we didn't live in a global world. It's too bad that we are expected to carry the burdens of Rwanda and Darfur. I'm not sure there is any way that we, as humans, have that capacity. I know people that know tons about Rwanda and don't know that their neighbor next door has cancer. I'm not sure which troubles me more.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger shorttallnotatall said...

dear paul, thank you for your post. that was incredibly insightful.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Monsterbeard said...

That is smart. My immediate reaction was exasperation.

But I don't even know my neighbors names, so... I'm just like that guy.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

my comments have not been showing up here :(

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

oh!

there's one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home